Old December 20th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Weiss

Default USS Midway Museum

"John Carrier" wrote...

Pretty good for flying, like being on buildups the whole time. Tough on
the family if an accompanied tour.

HA!

My wife had more fun over there than I did! "Work" was teaching English for
$20-30/hour. Give her $10 for a MAC flight from Yokota, and she was in
Seoul the next afternoon to spend a few thousand bux "saving money"! When
the pay accumulated, she was on a flight to Singapore, to be followed by a
train ride to Bangkok!

While all the wives back in the States had to wait 6 months for "Cruise" to
be over, ours thought 4 weeks was a "long" one! Even 3-month IO cruises
only took 3 months!

They may have tried to make you THINK it was "tough," but it was all a
smokescreen to make you hand over more $$...

....and if you think it was tough on kids, a friend's 4- or 5-year-old
daughter, on being told they were going back to Japan after a couple years
back in the states, was reported to say, "You mean we're going HOME
again?!?"

To fill it all out, our black lab was probably the only American dog ever to
be kicked off the beach in Kamakura (after chasing the tennis ball into the
surf for half an hour). not my fault we couldn't read the signs... :-)

Tough?!? Not unless they WANTED it to be tough!