Old May 21st 19, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Taurus glider for sale

My Libelle POH includes a section that discusses various temperature considerations for the fiberglass construction of the glider. Some interesting temperature recommendations include:
Storage in enclosed or open trailer - 100 C
Working on a wing suspended end to end on sawhorses - 85 C max
Assembled glider on the ground - 82 C max
In normal flight - 70 C max
Aerotow - 61 C max
Winch launch - 60 C max

The POH also points out that storage at any temp between 54 C and 80 C "is like a tempering action that will increase the full load limit of the structure. No further profit" will be obtained at temperatures above 80 C.

Robert

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 2:47:45 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Aside from gliders, the only other composite aircraft I've flown have been the Diamond DA20 and DA40, both of which have temp activated disks on the seat bulkhead. the color changes when the inside temperature exceeds 131 degrees F. There are also placards stating the temperature limitations warning of possible structural failure if flown when the temp has been exceeded, granted they mean flying it if the aircraft is that hot. But still, if the manufacturer states there is a danger, there must be one. I know my POH in the gliders I've flown state temperature limitations, though I've not seen any fancy temp sensitive color turn tapes glued in the cockpit of any glider.