Old March 9th 12, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Default Cold Feet

On Mar 8, 5:37*pm, Jim wrote:
Has anybody had experience with these heated soles in a glider:http://gerbing.com/Products/insoles.php* ? would it be better to get sock?

Some of these types of products have horrible reviews but these have good reviews on a retailer's website.

Most of the threads on heated socks are old and are about wave flying. My issue is that it’s often over 105 degrees F on the ground but after a few hours above 14k my feet get painfully cold and would like something that I can turn on later in the flight.

I’m thinking of powering these off a dedicated sealed lead acid battery as I think the newer batteries are risky: *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlZggVrF9VI

Thanks,
Jim

I don't have much to say about socks, but my answer to cold feet,
which has worked for over a decade for me, is to put on a pair of
Sorel snow boots just before launch. My feet don't get sweaty in the
short time to get towed up and climb up to altitude, and my feet are
comfy the entire flight. I fly out west, where it can be hot on the
ground, but soar mostly in the high teens, where it is always cold. I
wear tennis shoes on the ground, and put them behind my seat just
before launch, as I change into the Sorels. I hear lots of folks
complaining about cold feet, and having to go down to thaw their feet
out. Many of them have now followed my lead, and are now comfy hi
fliers. (and No batteries needed)

Bob