Old November 17th 03, 09:38 PM
Chris Spierings

Didn't do 30 years but did look into CAP. Good cause, should have known
that something was up with the local wing lost its based plane due. My
wife worked with one of the ground CAP guys and was encouraging me to
have a look.

Met the guys in the wing... The two or three pilots at the time were
nice guys. One of them was a CFI I'd run across a time or two with very
poor judgement. I believe the FAA took action against him eventually.

Then I met the recruiting officer who was OK until he found out I was a
pilot. The next words out of his mouth were you better not think this
is a flying club, you will be expected to do all the other stuff too.
Then I learned I'd be reporting to that guy later on and he was big into
the drill and spit and polish. Nothing like being drilled by a wannabe.

Sorry been there done that. Got paid to put up with that BS before why
would I do it now for free. If I'm gonna consider doing that I'd be
better off talking to the local ARNG or Army Reserve and seeing if they
can use a 40ish year old pilot.

Pechs,

I've got time in a few GA planes. For the money an Aeronca 7AC is a
nice and simple plane. The third wheel is in the right spot too.
Prices are still relatively low for decent ones and parts aren't too
hard to find. I've got time in two of them locally, one an 7AC and the
other an L-16. Pretty economical in terms of fuel use too. It can be
embarassing though to be doing IFR (I follow roads)in a Champ and having
cars pass you by.

Chris

Leanne wrote:
"Pechs1" wrote in message

Tom- Civil Air Patrol? BRBR

think ya gotta own yer aircraft. I don't think they 'employ' pilots.

Not necessarily. Many wings supply aircraft to the squadrons. All pilots
are volunteers. Funding may have changed since I gave it up, but the
only paid missions were, for SAR, assigned by Scott AFB or by the
state for training exercises. Any othe flying (training/currency) was out
of pocket, but was reasonable. The main reason I dropped out was the
politics and, as a 30 military year retiree, being treated like a snuffy by
former WW II Corporals and Privates wearing LtCol leaves.

Leanne
Former Sqdn Cmdr SC Wing