Old September 1st 04, 09:29 PM
Henryk Birecki

OK, for completeness here are GPS_LOG WinCE entries to the table. Some
of these cannot be captured in yes/no answers and some entries
immediately bring to mind other entries that should be there like "All
calculations are wind compensated" (answer yes for GPS_LOG), "needed
altitude takes terrain into consideration" (yes again), but then I and
forms never agree.

Feature GPS_LOG WinCE

Price --- free
Reachable airports are highlighted on the moving map ---- no, gives a
list of 8 best reachable sites instead
Final Glide Around Multiple Waypoints ---- yes (one turnpoint)
Calculates wind speed and direction while circling ---- "yes, and in
""straight flight"" if data (IAS,heading) available"
Wind speed and direction at several altitudes ---- no
"Large Fonts (5 is best, 1 is worst)" ---- 5 (what do you expect
) - user customizeable
Differential Final Glide ---- yes
Turnpoint Area Task Support ---- yes
Special Use Airspace displayed on moving map ---- yes (with
alarms)
"Topographical Maps (roads, lakes, elevation lines, etc.)" -----
yes
US Sectional Aeronautical Charts ----- no (pretty, but....)
In-flight optimization of OLC flights ------ "displays distance
given number of legs, does not check rule compliance"
FAI 28% Rule Turnpoint areas displayed in flight ------ no
Thermal Histogram ----- "no, but keeps track of the average climb"
Tracks statistics for multiple tasks at once ----- no
Climb Maximizer ------ yes
Thermal Average ------ yes
Terrain Elevation ------ yes

Compatibility with GPS Flight Recorders
PA - Receive position and GPS altitude from the flight recorder
Pr - Receive pressure altitude from the flight recorder
Lg - Download Flight Logs from the flight recorder to the Pocket
Tsk - Make an IGC Approved Task Declaration in the Flight Recorder
Wp - Upload Waypoints and tasks from Pocket PC to Flight Recorder
MC - Exchange MacCready between the Pocket PC software and the flight
recorder
Ps - Tie software password to flight recorder serial number
"S - Edit Setup Parameters in the flight recorder such as waypoint
arrival radius, units, etc."
Flight Recorder or Flight Computer

"""Generic"" GPS (Garmin, Transplant, etc.)" ---- "PA,Pr (Garmin
Summit…)"
Borgelt B50 with Volkslogger ----- "PA,Pr,Tsk(may depend on
wiring), MC (to PPC)"
Cambridge Aero Instruments GPS-NAV ---- "PA,Pr,Tsk"
Cambridge Aero Instruments 302 and 302A ----- "PA,Pr,Tsk, MC (to
PPC)"
Filser LX20 ----- "PA,Pr, Tsk (?? - if the same as Colibri)"
Garrecht Volkslogger ----- "PA,Pr,Tsk"
LX Navigation Colibri ------ "PA,Pr,Tsk"
"LX Navigation LX160, LX7000" ----- "PA,Pr,Tsk"
LX Navigation LX1600 ------ "PA,Pr,Tsk"
Scheffel Automation Themi ---- "PA (if NMEA),????"
Westerboer VW921 ----- "PA(this unit does not output GPS
altitude),Pr"
Zander ------ "PA,Pr"

Henryk Birecki

"Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi Henryk,

I have added every flight software option I am aware of. Some of them are
somewhat obscure, but I want the table to be as complete as possible. My
goal is to create a resource for glider pilots. Hopefully customers will
appreciate my efforts and buy from me.

When I say that some of the software packages are obscure, I mean that there
may be few pilots using them. I will not name names, but I am not referring
to GPS_LOG which is popular.

Please review the GPS_LOG column on the web site. I'm sure there are many
errors. The table is only as good as the data I receive.

Thanks,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Henryk Birecki" wrote in message
.. .
"Walter Kronester" wrote:

Very interesting table, thank you!
Please do not forget the free GPS_LOG
http://www.soaringpilotsoftware.com/GPS_LOGpage.htm

I would like it if Paul Remde included GPS_LOG WinCE in his
comparison. But the table lists software he sells, so in that context
the omission makes sense.

Henryk Birecki
(GPS_LOG WinCE developper)