Old October 16th 12, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Glider delivery

On Monday, October 15, 2012 7:09:52 PM UTC-6, James Anderson wrote:
On Oct 13, 2:10*pm, wrote:

What should one expect to pay for having a glider delivered...cost per mile?

What kind of contract would be required? Payment in advance via

Google mileage?

What about condition/roadworthiness of the trailer? Hold harmless

agreement?

Any details/input for those who have done this please.

r/Jim

1/2 in advance, balance on delivery. $55/day for weather and/or trailer maintenance delays.

Your hull insurance covers your property. Driver liability coverage is on the driver policy.

I set a mileage rate that covers fuel, lodging, and incidentals. I reserve the right to wander in performance of functions related to my chairing of two SSA committees. Win-win.

Rates are based on loaded and and unloaded mileage on round trip initially, reduced if load found going the other way. I try to avoid night driving as there are way too many deer out there. People in a hurry pay more. Coordinating and waiting a few weeks saves $$$$, timing helps.

For example, had I known about the Chilhowee Oktorfest a couple of days earlier, I would have waved a towball on RAS to make it part of a road trip before booking my flight to Charlotte for the SSA BOD meeting and Barnaby Lecture.

I don't do uship because I don't want to haul dogs or women (oh yeah), my specialty is glider trailers and their precious contents. I like to take another glider pilot along most times as shotgun and for conversation. Two motel beds are a cheap as one.

I have current state plates for those that don't;^) and a lighting system for those that don't/won't work. I usually carry enough tools to make your eyes water.

I've even run the Canadian border and dropped off for Europe, driven through two days of blizzard, 150 miles of ice, and negotiated payments (for the glider) enroute.

Frank