Old April 3rd 04, 02:16 PM
BAToulson

In article , "John Giddy"
writes:

See if you can find a contact at "The Soaring Centre", Husbands
Bosworth in UK.
Some years ago they built their own 4-drum winch. I saw it a few years
ago, and it was a most impressive machine.

True, we do have a very good winch. It is four drum and was designed by
engineers and largely built by a retired member and his son who knew what they
were doing, but to a very high standard, and is not dissimilar to the van
Gelder (which has 6 drums I believe) .

Must be about 10 or 12 years old now and has given excellent service with the
occasional overhaul. It can launch anything we have including Duo Discus,
Janus, Puchacz and other two seaters with no problem but is on full throtle
with no wind.

Unfortunately the member (and his son) who built it are no longer available,
(son now flies Jumbo jets and father is not interested in another project of
this type). However, we would willingly show you round and our Winch Master
will no doubt tell you all about our "learning curve".

If you are new to winching I strongly recommend buying a professionally made
two drum winch, Supercat for example, as I guarantee that, without a clear
blueprint you will never get the engineering right first time and would waste
many frustrating hours, lots of cash, and end up with an unsatisfactory
product.

Barney
The Soaring Centre
UK