Old December 9th 05, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flight Planning PYM to DEN

You can get 10 day forecasts from www.weather.com but that is hardly
useful for planning a flight. I live south of FTG and I don't make
flight decisions until that morning.

Just weeks ago I made a decision to do a short local flight close to
the airport because of concerning clouds to the north. Five minute
drive to the airport, opened the hangar door, pulled the plane out and
looked again to the north. Did not like what I saw so put the plane
back in. Home five minutes later and it was snowing. Not sure if it
was predicted.

If you are not familiar with high altitude flight, read up on it.
Leaning the engine during the runup process is always done by me. Plus
use your airspeed during landing and take-off. Actual ground speed
will be higher than you are used to so don't let groundspeed
perceptions determine flare and rotation points.

FTG does have a tower now so make sure that you have that frequency.

Red Oak IA typically has cheap fuel.

The visibility out here should please you.

Ron Lee

"William Snow" wrote:

I am in the process of planning a flight from Plymouth, MA PYM to Front
Range Airport in CO, starting 12/21/2005 in an Arrow. (Yes Jay I am planning
to stop in Iowa City to see you.).
Does anyone know of a long range planning weather source?
Thanks
Bill Snow CP, IA, ASEL