Old October 27th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Black Boxes for GA Aircraft...Good or Bad?

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Greengears,

Do you think that all flight schools should
have these type of black boxes installed in their aircrafts?

Very bad, to answer your title. One more certified thing to pay for,
with no or little increase in safety (how many GA accidents are there
with unknown cause that have a chance of being clearer with such a
gadget?). The only purpose of such a device is to give the media a
chance to report more in the Lidle case. Sad!

But most of us already do have black boxes. My GPS tracks my
course/speed/altitude/etc for about a year back. My EDM tracks all my
engine trends, all EGTs, fuel flows, CHTs, event OAT (in case I was in
an ice accident).
It wouldn't be hard for the NTSB to get as much info from my plane as
the 80's era black boxes provided.

-Robert