Old July 30th 10, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default need Libelle wheel installed pix

On Jul 29, 6:11*pm, Brad wrote:
On Jul 29, 5:00*pm, Craig wrote:

On Jul 29, 3:51*pm, Fred wrote:

My Libelle 301b #65 has the wheel brake cable attached to the spoiler
handle and is adjusted to activate the brake when pulled to its full
open. *I don't have any pictures, but on mine, the anti-rotation pin
slides into a slot in the bottom of the left gear strut. *If I can
remember correctly, there is a cable guide built into the left strut
also.
Fred
On Jul 29, 3:23*pm, Brad wrote:

any Libelle owners out there have pics of how the wheel assy looks
when it's bolted up to the landing gear tubes? I want to get an idea
of how the brake cable housing terminates and how the anti-rotation
pin assy works.

is the brake actuated by the airbrake pull?

thanks,
Brad

Brad,
If your hub has spoke holes, it is the original motorcycle wheel and
is quite weak. The axle and bearings wont hold up to a hard landing +
the brake shoes are small. Stiefenater can provide a Tost wheel which
is much stronger and with a wider brake shoe. Spike the shoe to the
drum by gluing 80 grit sandpaper to the drum, then rotate the wheel
with the brake actuated to "spike" a perfect fit (remove sandpaper)
and the brake will be adequate................not good, but it will
stop the Libelle when applied at 20 knots.
JJ
Brakes aren't a great place to suddenly go retro-style ;-)

Craig

you guys are freaking me out!

I'll cut a hole in the bottom of the fuselage and go Fred Flintstone
style!

Brad- Hide quoted text -