Old August 12th 10, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Flarm in the US

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 04:58:03 +0000, Alan wrote:

"glider 45, traffic at your 6 to 7 o'clock, 50 yards behind, 100 feet
above, circling in same direction" sounds terrifying. (I am in a blind
spot for him, and he is in one for me.)

I worry enough about a plane a mile away in a traffic pattern. Not
having
continuous visual separation at 50 yards distance scares me.

Me too.

In my UK club we're trained to stay on the opposite side of the circle to
a glider at a similar height. I don't do that to anybody. If I'm in a
thermal with somebody who insists on sitting on my tail, typically a
newly solo pilot, despite my best efforts to stay opposite him, I leave.

I can't see FLARM having any bearing on this situation.

If your club instructors don't teach correct thermalling etiquette and/or
chew more experienced offenders who should know better, its time they
start doing it.

Martin

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie