Old October 13th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default TFR announced over New York City

Bob Noel writes:

Is CNN a source information or not?

It's not. It's a for-profit corporation. Its objective is to sell
advertising, which it does by broadcasting things that people want to
see. Any information that transpires during the course of this
activity is incidental.

Why would you want NORAD to NOT use a source of information?

When the source is demonstrably unreliable.

Remember, not too long ago, CNN claimed that a giant meteor was
hurtling towards our planet.

Was the aircraft on a flight plan? If not, would you expect NORAD
to know the aircraft's intentions?

Is NORAD supposed to know the intentions of every plane in the sky?

What is the downside of scrambling?

A hundred million dollars or so.

It's not like they gave any order to shoot.

It's not like they can fly for free.

Do you expect NORAD to have this magic sensor array where
they know the whereabouts of every single airborne target?

I expect them to keep cool heads and exercise good judgement. Making
decisions based on CNN's Breaking News is not in line with those
objectives.