Old February 6th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default Polyurethane finish?

On Feb 5, 11:39*am, Uniform Zulu
wrote:
I recently purchased a glider which was refinished
in polyurethane and I'm wondering what is the best
way to look after the finish?

Should I put something like wxblock on it or just use
a good automotive wax? should it be hard waxed and
buffed like gel coat?

What about fixing any problem areas? Is sanding a good
idea?

Any advice would be appreciated.

We need more information there, Uniform Zulu.................What type
ship, who painted it, how many coats did he shoot on? If you have at
least 3 medium to wet coats, you can wet sand it with a rubber block
using 600, then 800 grit paper, then buff out with liquid buffing
compound and an 1800 rpm buffer with a wool pad. Repairing scuffed
tips requires the edges to be sanded with 220, then shot, when wet
sanding out this repair you may show the grey primer at the
edge..............that's why white primer is the best. PCL Polyprimer
907 white, it's PE.............use any wax that doesn't have silicone,
I use Mothers (milk?), don't like the way WX block goes on after
buffing the ship out.......doesn't seem to spread evenly.
JJ