View Single Post
Old February 27th 14, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Glider Crash Argentina

Andy,

Are you claiming that this thread is the first to bring a glider accident to the attention of the glider community on RAS? Really? Really....?

As tragic as all fatal or serious accidents are, this one has now happened. I understand the media reporting can be very hard to read or hear. But lets be grown up's. I have experienced a fatal accident up close myself. As painful as it is, with each accident we have an opportunity to: A) learn from it and try to understand what happened so we do not make the same mistake or B) we can ignore it and pretend it did not happen.

Just learning that an accident has happened in this community is difficult. Most accidents go unknown to the majority of the glider community. Accidents are quickly brushed under the rug. To be honest the only way I have ever learned of other accidents is from fellow pilots on RAS. I am thankful when a fellow pilot brings an accident to my attention. I think bringing accidents to the attention of the glider community is a service. We should not be afraid of doing so or fear being attacked for doing so. Learning about and understanding the likely cause of each accident gives each of us an opportunity to re-factor our own decision making. Responsible pilots should invest the time to study all accidents, don't you think?

So, which path do you suggest moving forward? Hide accidents from the community or openly discuss? If you suggest hiding, you might want to do some research on RAS and talk to the numerous other pilots who have posted news of other accidents. Or are you just trying to single me out? We can have that conversation too if you wish.

Sean

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:49:39 PM UTC-5, Andrew Brayer wrote:
On Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:09:56 PM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:

Not sure if this has been mentioned here. Looks like a landing or out-landing phase.

http://www.eldiariodelapampa.com.ar/...2#.UwjZYEJdVo1

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=163779

a young girl is dead for christ's sake. keep those articles for yourself. i know i don't have to read the post, but who WOULD want to click it and look at pictures of a crashed glider with a blanket draped over the tragedy in the cockpit.