Old November 29th 17, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 12:14:10 PM UTC-8, waremark wrote:
As owner of an Oudie IGC (also Samsung S8, Kobo Glo HD, and LX 9000) I think brightness has ceased to be a major issue. I have never encountered any conditions in which the Oudie (pointed at me) is difficult to read. What is the relevance of looking at the instrument at an angle?

The posting was meant to inform those using a cell phone, where brightness has historically been an issue, as battery life has prevented manufacturers from using bright displays. There have been a few threads questioning the usability of iGlide due to this. At least with the X, it is no longer an issue. With a 6 Plus, I only had an issue looking into the sun wearing dark glasses, as I also did with the Avier/Oudie. This seems like less of a problem with the X, which is brighter, higher contrast, and higher resolution than either.

No relevance looking at an angle - just an observation that LCD and OLED displays have different artifacts (dimming and blue shift respectively), and it appears that the LCD suffers more. Of greater relevance is the reflections, and it appears that the anti-reflective coatings on a high end cell phone work better than the matte screen of an inexpensive PDA.