Old August 8th 03, 01:50 PM
Michael Pilla

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
SNIP
In all honesty, I *really* pity the poor security folks nowadays. Thirty
years ago, they had to worry that someone would contact the Russians and
obtain a tiny camera which would allow them to shoot five or six grainy,
poorly-exposed photos of classified documents. Nowadays, you can go

online
and buy a watch with a built-in USB storage system (including the
connecting cable, which tucks into the band) and walk home with hundreds

of
classified documents invisibly strapped onto your wrist.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/5eec/

Twenty years ago, we couldn't bring calculators with memories into the

work
areas (I once had a security officer pick up a calculator I was using and
ask, "Is that a classified number?"). Today, most engineering and
management types are wedded to their PDAs, and the security guys either
have to allow them in or cripple the true work.

Security level must have been low if PDAs were allowed in/out without
checking/vetting several steps along the way. PDAs still had to be cleared,
initially, where I worked two years ago and they were checked going in and
out of the secured facility. One chap made the mistake of replacing his PDA
with a newer model and was more than a bit perturbed as they proceeded to
dismantle it in front of him - basically destroyed the unit. I guess that
was part of the intent. :-)

There is security, and then there is real security. :-)

Michael Pilla