Old July 27th 03, 05:55 AM
Jerry

Have not seen the paper but I run a ZZ3 in my 1967 Camaro, what a fantastic
engine it is. I have it built to develop 410hp.

Jerry

John M Frew wrote:
Has anyone seen the Sunset Engine Development automotive (ZZ3 V8) to aero
motive discussion paper written for the FEW P51 replica ?

"Ernest Christley" wrote in message
. com...

Corky Scott wrote:

On the debit side were the following:

1. I have to fabricate a new intake manifold.
2. The exhaust system runs some 400 to 500 degrees hotter than a four
stroke cycle engine.
3. Fuel milage appeared to be somewhat worse than a four stroke cycle
engine of similar power.
4. The recommendation was to remove the oil injector pump (this is the
pump that drips oil into the intake manifold to lubricate the rotor
tip seals) This meant that you had to carry oil you would be adding
to the fuel tanks. This also meant that you had to calculate how much
oil you had to add to the tanks every time you refueled.
5. The engine is unbelievably loud sounding like a cross between a two
stroke motorcycle dragster and chainsaw held next to your head. There
would definately be a need for a muffler.

This is not to contradict Corky, just to explain how these problems have
been dealt with.

1) Yep. Ya' gotta' do it.
2) Stainless or iconel.
3) This has not really been a factor. The rotary leans better than a
piston. Theory is that the fuel vapors, being heavier than the air, get
whipped around the outside of the housing and into the spark area. Not
an issure for me anyway, as I'll be carrying 42gal, and autogas is a LOT
cheaper.
4) Another solution has been to route the oil metering pump into a
second reservoir containing two-cycle oil. This is a concern, but the
mix ratio is 125 to 1. I'll just have an extra compartment to hold 1
gallon of 2cycle. That's 8lbs, 6 for oil and a couple for the container
and measuring cup.
5) The centrifugal mufflers have worked quite well in dampening the
noise. They can easily be made as quiete as a Lycoming at a cost of 10
to 20lbs. Total installation weight will still be right in line with an
IO-360.

My recommendation to anyone considering an auto-conversion is to
subscribe to different mailing list and see what is currently going on.
Yesterday's problems may have simple solutions, and yesterday's simple
solution may have problems. In the end, you only have your cards to
play with.

--
----Because I can----
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/