Old October 21st 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Polar with spoilers extended?

On Oct 21, 10:50 am, " wrote:
Tim,
I have flown with you, why do you want to know this information? You
take off, fly far and fast and land when your glider touches the
ground. I don't ever remember you "using" spoilers...

Tom,

LOL, thanks. It is purely an academic exercise from a safety
discussion we had about what are the best steps to follow if you are
high on final. I am trying to look at the difference between several
suggested techniques if full spoilers are not enough.

My list of preferences is:
1. Full spoilers
2. add forward slip
3. add "S" turns

I have used the technique of slowing down to minimize forward speed,
increase sink and decrease glide angle. Others have suggested
increasing speed to increase drag. I am not a big fan of this
technique because I feel it minimizes options for the pilot and is
susceptible to pilot error that can end up in over shooting the LZ.
Last years article in soaring I believe confirms my feeling that this
is a technique that should not be held up as one of the primary
techniques that should be used. I am working on developing models to
asses each in terms of effectiveness, time required, safety and
options left to the pilot.

Tim