Old February 15th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Minimum rates of climb/descent for VFR

WingFlaps wrote in
:

On Feb 16, 4:14Â*am, Mark Hansen wrote:
On 02/15/08 01:53, WingFlaps wrote:

On Feb 15, 9:19�am, Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 15, 12:31 am, "John" wrote:
No there are no regulations for climb or descent rates for VFR
fligh

t.

Err I don't think that's 100% correct but it will do for MX.

Cheers

Please then for my benefit point me to such a regulation.

Certainly. Vne is a limit that must not be exceeded (there are
others). This sets a limit on how fast you can legally descend
(remember pilots must fly within operating limits). You must also
not use ascent or descent rate that put you in conflict with ATC
unless you have got clearance. When NORDO you cannot ascend or
descend into controlled space except as part of a flight plan.

What? You believe that an aircraft with no radio is not allowed to
enter controlled airspace without being on a flight plan?

Can you please provide a reference to that regulation?

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*The descent rate at
or below 500' must be zero or negative except at an aerodrome or
within a LFZ. You can probably now see other examples. Pilots
should think outside the box ;-)

An towered airport is controlled airspace so:

Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate
an aircraft to, from, through, or on an airport having an operational
control tower unless two-way radio communications are maintained
between that aircraft and the control tower. Communications must be
established prior to 4 nautical miles from the airport, up to and
including 2,500 feet AGL. However, if the aircraft radio fails in
flight, the pilot in command may operate that aircraft and land if
weather conditions are at or above basic VFR weather minimums, visual
contact with the tower is maintained, and a clearance to land is
received. If the aircraft radio fails while in flight under IFR, the
pilot must comply with §91.185.

Flown nordo into controlled fields loads of times..

Not usually a prob. No flight plan either. Just called the tower by
phone before i departed or flew as a flight of two.

Bertie