Old May 11th 16, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Contest "viewing"

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 4:19:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
With Nephi hosting 3 nationals at once this June, we thought a real time tracking solution could be really exciting. The solutions we found would cost us many thousands of dollars unfortunately.

I would love to see the SSA consider investing some of the $55 "sanction fees" each contestant pays at any contest (and have been paying for years now) and invest in a system that can be used at all nationals for all of us to follow and enjoy.

By the way, where has the tens of thousands $$ already collected from these sanction fees gone to? I hope not just the SSA general operating fund, but to something racing related to hopefully grow contest participation...

There was one gps system a while back that looked really cool showing real time data of all sailplanes competing, but the cost for renting all of the equipment would be something in the range of $15,000 for just one full contest!

Fun to dream about what may be someday...
Bruno - B4

In recent years the surplus from sanction fees paid, after direct expenses were accounted for, was made available for the benefit of the contest community. This was administered by the contest board. a significant portion is used to pay 90% of contest expenses for young people who participate and apply.
UH