Old February 9th 04, 10:47 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
hlink.net...
The topic started out as a way to end our dependence on imported oil. The
whole gas tax idea is simply a way to provide an incentive to conserve.

A better and much more efficient way would be to encourge PRODUCTION. What's
more, encouragement to conserve has many pitfalls when under a bureaucratic
blanket.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

My
only point is that it would be relatively easy to end our dependence on
imported oil if we really wanted to do it.

It would be if the MARKET made that determination, rather than bureaucrats
and politicians and their cronies.

Collecting such a tax would be
fairly easy since there is already a federal tax on gasoline, only the
amount would be changed. I agree that the refunding portion would be
problematic.

That's the problem: Collection is easy, the subsequent portions ALWAYS bogs
down. A good example is the state lotteries -- after a year or two the funds
mainly go into the general fund where the looting commences.