Old November 6th 04, 10:17 AM
Cub Driver

On 5 Nov 2004 05:15:55 -0800, (SelwayKid) wrote:

When you do your run up, the brakes may freeze
and you can have a problem getting them unstuck.

My first snowy weather flight was also my first solo rental. It was a
day to remember. The airport owner was plowing the taxiway toward the
downwind end of the runway, so I decided to cut across the unplowed
section between me and the runway. After all, I would have driven
through it in my car without hesitating. But the tail came up, and I
was stuck. The owner (the owner!) had to come along, tell me to shut
down the engine, turn the plane, and give me a prop.

Then I proceeded to have the opposite experience of what you relate.
While doing the runup, the braked tires weren't sufficient to hold me
in place, so I slid up against the unplowed section again. Happily I
was able to turn the plane with the rudder and didn't require the
owner's services again.

That was five years ago, and every time I meet the owner, I still
imagine him thinking: "Oh yeah, the fool who tried to taxi through
snow."

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:
(put Cubdriver in subject line)