Old February 10th 12, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default New Butterfly Vario

On 2/9/2012 7:49 PM, Sean Fidler wrote:
Exactly. So the chance of being proficient and climbing up into the
cloud using a turn and bank is slim to none. Right. So why not let
pilots have a turn and bank so that there is at least a chance for
them if they do one day get into the cloud.

A hear post after post and frankly am losing respect fast.

This is so wrong...sad. The RC craps on safety out of fear that
someone might cheat with an instrument that even the RC says is
unusable for what is feared, thermal-ling into clouds with it.

You guys would be great witnesses in my trial...keep it coming.

Really think about what you are saying here.

1) assuming anyone with a safety instrument onboard at a contest has
installed it to cheat 2) assuming that a) its impossible to use
safely if IMC is encountered AND AT THE SAME TIME b) that everyone
with one intends to cheat and will benefit from it. 3) totally
disregarding the safety aspect of the instrument.

More observations: Why does any glider have one? Why does any light
airplane have one? Why do these companies build AH's into their
instruments?

Are these people all idiots? Because that's what you are saying.
Why do these instruments exist for gliders? In any form? Hmmmm?

My guess is you have not flown in contests, do not have experience
flying in clouds in a glider, and do not have very much glider
experience. I flew contests for 30 years, and never needed a
cloud-flying instrument, nor did anyone report needing one, and no one
has lobbied for them to be allowed. 30 years! Plus, I've flown 5000
hours in gliders outside of contests, and never needed one even then.

You are making way too big a deal out this. The risks in contests do not
come from flying without a cloud-flying instrument, but from many other
sources. It is not just at the bottom of the list; it's not even on the
list.

email me)

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz