Old September 26th 12, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Optimum thermalling speed display

On 9/26/2012 9:49 AM, soartech wrote:

Since we don't (yet) have AOA gauges...
Kirk
66

If you want to buy one they are available. Check out www.safeflight.com
There are more listed on page 16 and 17 of the Feb 2008 issue of
Soaring.

Trying to thermal effectively while keeping your speed within a 2-3
knot range sounds
like trying to balance on a ball. I suspect the slight difference in
efficiency is not significant.

What many pilots need is a G meter that nags them to use a steeper bank
than the 20-30 degrees I often see. That would improve the their
climbing effectiveness a lot more than the optimum AOA.

email me)