Old September 27th 12, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Optimum thermalling speed display

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:26:50 AM UTC-5, Evan Ludeman wrote:
On Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:58:22 AM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:

How about a bank angle read out on the new Butterfly vario so the guys that think they are flying a 45 degree bank can see they are really only banked 20 degrees? Not sure I need a speed to fly, usually it is as slow as the glider will fly well. Any slower it will mush or be slow on the controls, any faster and I am flying too big of circles. Too many different types of thermals for one number.

Every glider in the fleet has a handy 45 degree bank angle reference. Use your instrument screws. Kilobuck solutions not required.

T8

Evan, I think Tim's comment was tongue in cheek...
I agree with him, why the hell do you need a thermaling speed director, what happened to good-old hand flying the glider and taking pride in the results?