Old March 12th 19, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

Other differences between towing glider trailers in Europe vs. the United States include the (mostly) smaller tow vehicles and lower speeds. Lighter weight and shorter wheelbase tow vehicles can have their stability overcome by trailer sway dynamics, thus the lower speed mandate. It is common in the US to tow with a full size pickup or large SUV, which are less available in Europe due to traffic congestion, higher gas prices and societal acceptance. For all you hear about the "Autobahn," remember that it is regulated quite severely as to what vehicles are allowed, and the total length is only 12,996 km (2017). The US Interstate system reaches 77,840 km (2016) with speed limits from 65-85 MPH. Higher speeds and longer point to point distances in the US with trailers designed for the European traffic environment require more frequent monitoring of the running gear, including axles, brakes and the European mandated "safety" surge brake systems.

Not complaining, though. I like my 1981 Cobra trailer, but my 2000 Ranger barely keeps up with traffic on the Interstate with it in tow. The trailer bearings, tires and brake system do require a certain amount of TLC to keep everything working properly. I see a LOT of people dragging valuable gliders around in poorly understood and abominably maintained trailers.