Old November 26th 03, 08:08 PM
Kyler Laird

"Peter Duniho" writes:

[...] I have seen and heard of too many oil leaks, fuel
leaks, rubbing tubes and various parts coming loose or falling off...all
caused by "maitenance".

Well, granted, the engines on your plane require a much more specialized
maintenance crew than the one Lycoming on mine. But in spite of the very
real possibility of human error during maintenance, as far as I know more
engine failures are prevented by maintenance than are caused by it. I would
be very surprised if you could find statistics to the contrary.

I'm a Lycoming-running statistic (n=1). I "lost" an engine because the
throttle cable came off months after the engine was replaced at annual.
Fortunately I noticed it on the runup. But it happened the night before
when I was dodging lightning on the approach to Durango. (I didn't notice
it then because I rolled in just ahead of the hail and was more interested
in getting under cover than parking perfectly.)

I have way too many examples of mechanics screwing up my plane.

--kyler