Old July 10th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

Default A question on Airbus landings

I guess I've been retired too long for all that new stuff!

"Beavis" wrote in message
In article ,
"karl gruber" wrote:

No transport certifed jet made requires thrust reverse to stop in the
distance calculated by the crew for every landing.

That's incorrect.

http://www.ntsb.gov/Recs/letters/2006/A06_16.pdf

"The FAA allows the reverse thrust credit to be used in calculating en
route operational landing distances for some transport-category
airplanes, such as the accident airplane, a 737-700."

The 737-700 that ran off the runway in Chicago this past winter
absolutely used thrust reverse in its landing distance calculation.
They calculated 560 feet of runway remaining after that landing *with*
the Thrust Reversers used. Between the inability to activate the TRs
right away, and the braking action being much poorer than reported to
the crew, it (obviously) wasn't enough runway.

As a result of that accident, I wouldn't be surprised to see the
factoring of the TRs into the data removed or reduced. (The 737-300,
for example, doesn't include the TRs in its landing data.)