Old October 22nd 08, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting,alt.privacy,sci.crypt
Ari

Default Soaring, Cryptography and Nuclear Weapons

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:04:55 -0500, Jim Logajan wrote:

Ari wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:14:35 -0700 (PDT), Hellman wrote:

What could soaring possibly have in common with nuclear weapons? To
find out, read my new article "Soaring, Cryptography and Nuclear
Weapons" at

http://www.nuclearrisk.org/soaring_article.php

"On an annual basis, that makes relying on nuclear weapons a 99% safe
maneuver. As with 99.9% safe maneuvers in soaring, that is not as safe
as it sounds and is no cause for complacency. If we continue to rely on
a strategy with a one percent failure rate per year, that adds up to
about 10% in a decade and almost certain destruction within my
grandchildren's lifetimes."

Your math is off, risk is not cumulative.

I don't think he meant "adds up" literally - if he did he wouldn't have
added the "about" qualifier. The multiplicative value of the safe maneuver
ensemble (0.99**10) happens to yield a risk of about 10%. The examples
elsewhere in his article indicates he understands the proper math. It's not
like he doesn't have the education. ;-)

Got that right, I am a big Hellman crypto fan, his credential outweigh
mine the flea to the elephant.
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJVydzNJrno