Old May 29th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Stewart

Default CFI oral intel

gatt wrote:

One of the folks around the hangar took his CFI practical last week. He
had his AGI so they threw out all of the Fundamentals of Instruction
stuff entirely during the oral.

A question the examiner asked him: "You're flying cross-country and
trimmed at 110 knots. You die, and the engine quits. At what airspeed
will the aircraft strike the ground?"

Another was, "You're turning final and you enter a cross-control stall.
Is it better to be in a slip, or a skid?"

I'm wondering what the significance of posting
this question is. Is it because everyone should
know the answer or because on some level it is
nonsensical?

BTW, my instructor covered the issue in-depth in
my pre-solo test. The gist of the discussion being
that a spin will develop much quicker in a skid since
the lower wing will drop, as opposed to a slip,
where the high wing has to drop, giving you more
time to recognize and break the stall.