Old May 29th 21, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tow plane ideas

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 1:37:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
My glider club is looking into the possibility of a new or upgraded tow plane. We currently have a 160hp supercub, but we have also looked into a rare-as-hens-teeth piper pawnee. As i poke around barnstormers and trade a plane, i have seen ads for a 190hp vans RV-6, a maule 235, a stinson 200+ hp, motorgliders, cessna 188, etc.

Anyone out there have some ideas for a tow plane that might be very functional but also (perhaps) not well known? Ive seen stories on stinson's maule's and wilga's being used in the past, for example, but it would be good to hear of some currently used "unusual" towplanes.

thanks for any feedback!

Callair 290HP on Wings and Wheels classifieds for 37K.

It is possible (or so I am told) to actually import a Pawnee from Argentina.. The paperwork and processing will probably choke the last bit of life out of your club, but it's at least possible.

I have seen (personally) the Callair and know the seller. It's not a pretty airplane but I doubt you'll find one with a better powerplant for the money.