Old January 22nd 12, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Average number of flights to solo for ab-initio students?

On Jan 22, 8:53*am, Frank Paynter wrote:
My club uses the volunteer instructor model for student instruction,
and I am trying to determine how effective this model is versus
commercial soaring center instruction. *Based on my review of our
records (such as they are) it appears it takes our students an average
of 33 flights from 'first ride' to solo.

Anyone else out there have similar objective data from their
operations?

TIA

Frank (TA)

While there may be differences between commercial glider operations
and volunteer club instruction programs, it's small compared to
differences in individual students and instructors. Less confident
instructors will make more flights with students to make sure they are
really ready for solo. Less apt students obviously will take longer
to acquire the needed skills.

A big advantage to commercial training is the "student as customer"
concept. Another advantage is commercial operations fly 180 to 350
days a year while some clubs fly as few as 50 days a year. Training
is simply more accessible at commercial operations. Students just
find it easier to schedule flight training.

OTOH, clubs with a strong XC culture will give a student a broader and
deeper knowledge of soaring than any commercial operation can afford
to do - although they'll likely take longer to do it.

I'm sometimes asked for a recommendation for someone in a hurry with
no financial limitations. I tell them to take a winter vacation to a
warm climate glider school such as those in Fl, TX AZ or CA. Plan 2 -
3 weeks to get a glider rating.