Old January 22nd 12, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

Default Average number of flights to solo for ab-initio students?

On Jan 22, 1:06*pm, T wrote:
On Jan 22, 7:53*am, Frank Paynter wrote:

My club uses the volunteer instructor model for student instruction,
and I am trying to determine how effective this model is versus
commercial soaring center instruction. *Based on my review of our
records (such as they are) it appears it takes our students an average
of 33 flights from 'first ride' to solo.

Anyone else out there have similar objective data from their
operations?

TIA

Frank (TA)

A lot of data is missing from your basic determination of first flight
to solo.
Commercial operations are able to operate more days than just weekend
clubs. This allows closer repetitive flying days for the student. Are
you separating data of "add-on" and primary students? Does your club
maintaining training records and standard syllabus folders for the
volunteer instructors and students to review during the pre brief? Are
your instructors assigning reading material to prepare for the next
lesson? Or do your instructors just say "jump in let's go".

Are your students there at least one day every weekend and stay for
more than just thier lesson? A student who flies every other week or
has longer delays between fly days will need to repeat the last
lesson. Are assigned readings reviewed before the flight and the
syllabus followed? Is the student prepared? If they are instructed in
the checklist, shown the material in the handbook, and told to
memorize it for the next week. And then they show up to fly and had
not cracked the book, they are wasting the instructors free time and
their money.

A club with volunteer instructors can operate efficiently with a good
syllabus and lead instructor guidance.

I would venture that our numbers are slightly lower, but I have not
crunched or tracked the data. Everyone gets that student that just has
"the hands", and the student that does not, but thinks he already
knows everything. The second student will take more lessons to
complete.

Thanks for the input, but I'm not really interested in any of the
intangible aspects or 'which is better' arguments regarding commercial
operators vs club. I'm just trying to determine whether or not there
is a significant difference in the 'flights-to-solo' data, and whether
or not there is any real data on this parameter at all, commercial or
club.

Regards,

TA