Old January 22nd 12, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Average number of flights to solo for ab-initio students?

On Jan 22, 10:53*am, Frank Paynter wrote:
My club uses the volunteer instructor model for student instruction,
and I am trying to determine how effective this model is versus
commercial soaring center instruction. *Based on my review of our
records (such as they are) it appears it takes our students an average
of 33 flights from 'first ride' to solo.

Anyone else out there have similar objective data from their
operations?

TIA

Frank (TA)

Our club has a similar number for the "average" student. Some are as
few as 25 but that is unusual. We tell people to expect to do about
35 training flights before solo but we emphasize that this is general
and everybody is different.
Also worth noting is "early soloes" tend to need more follow up
because it isn't all drilled in yet.

UH