Old April 26th 16, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sierra Whiskey

Default LS3a vs Pegasus

I certainly enjoy flying my LS-3A. JJ hit the nail on the head when he said it is the most comfortable glider to sit in. Comfort was important to me as I have conducted multiple 700+ km OLC flights in it. I find that the seat shape and size accommodates pilots of all sizes.

One great feature of the LS-3A is the ease of retracting and deploying the landing gear. I have no worries about leaving the gear retracted while scratching out in a weak thermal knowing that once I commit to landing and run the checklist the gear will deploy with ease with one hand. The gear handle is on the same side as the flaps and spoilers which keeps your right hand on the stick.

I have found the performance of the LS-3A to not only be suitable for great OLC flights, but it is also quite competitive in the "Club Class." It is really comfortable in a long glide and cruise, and handles excellent in weak lift conditions. The flaps do take their toll in "handicap" however I have found that their effect in tightening up a turn within the core of a thermal often times allows me to out-climb even some of the more modern ships.

One thing I have been playing with lately is flying more frequently with water ballast. It is amazing how well the LS-3A handles, thermals, and cruises with water ballast on-board. When carrying water the LS-3A straight glide is fast and level which is great for running cloud streets in southern Arizona.

When I committed to purchasing my LS-3A I did give up one "must have" option which was automatic control hook-ups. I will be honest, this has never once bothered me. Follow the assembly procedures, do a positive control check, and you will be fine.

Last note, the most important part of the glider is really not the glider. In the end all the gliders are the same, it is just how efficiently you fly it. The most important part of the glider is the trailer IMHO. I would recommend buying a slightly older and slightly rougher glider with a great trailer than a great glider with a horrible trailer. Wait until you land out your own glider for the first time and see what gets you and your crew out of the field before the sun sets, a nice gel coat or a nice trailer...

Read up on the LS/DG maintenance agreement and what is required.

Either way you cant go wrong. Members of our club have a Pegasus and seem to love it and fly well in them.