Old April 26th 16, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LS3a vs Pegasus

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 8:31:28 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Well, what do you think? I'm in the market and both are available with the LS having a higher asking price by a couple of thousand. Assuming similar trailers and instruments, is there a significant performance difference? Most Peg owners seem to love them and there is the DG/LS "tax" to consider. From what I've been able to gather, the Pegasus "hard to get parts" issue is mostly a myth. I have no time in flapped ships but not against them by any means. I'm currently flying an ASW 15.

- Not sure where do you fly, but Ls-3a in Midwestern, less than desirable, conditions would always beat the me in a thermal - I flew asw-19, which apart from a French designed airfoil isn't too far off from the Pegasus. I always envied the other pilot flying Ls-3 turning in thermals I kept falling out of. It was no competition between the two of us flying, same with run, simple gear change in the Ls-3 left me behind and lower. It convinced me I wanted a flapped ship.
The only down side was the weight of the wing on Ls-3. When he was pulling fuselage out of the trailer, entire gaggles used to scramble, leaving behind only children, elder and unenlightened...