Old November 25th 14, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Ka6E vs. Ka6CR

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 1:31:19 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I know this is an old thread but maybe somebody has an answer.
I'm thinking about buying another Ka6, possibly even the one I owned previously.
I'm told that late CR's (like my former ship) have the same Wortman wing as the E as they were produced simultaneously.
Anybody got info on this.
Thanx
JM

So many tales and so many variations, even within the models. Here is what I think I know.

The only Ka-6/10 that had a true Wortmann wing is the Ka-10. Later in the Ka-6 production (late Crs, probably all the Es but not sure on this) had a Wortman MOD to the leading edge of the NACA and other family sections. There is a paper published in an OSTIV report on this modification, along with cross sections showing the change at various sing stations. All changes were in the first 1-2 inches of the chord.

When I go back and read the report on the 1964 Nationals, Moffat says that my CrPE (N958Z) is a "pre-production Ka-10 with an untwisted, Wortmann wing.." Well, the spar on the Ka-10 is in a different location than the Ka-6 (much further aft), and mine is in the Ka-6 position. It may be de-twisted, as I have had it out to a bit over 90 MPH and the wing does not bend down towards the tips as planes with lots of twist tend to have the wings do. Flies very nice.

I think the 10 and the E may have been produced side by side for a while, until Schleicher dropped the 10 and only built the E, which they later replaced with the AS-W15. Before that, there could have been mixed production of the Cr and the E. Just not sure.

My CrPE has the all flying tail of the E, as well as the wing root fairing shapes of the E, but with the Cr nose and canopy. Gorgeous planes, all of them.

Steve Leonard