Old August 16th 19, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joel Flamenbaum[_2_]

Default Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 5:43:09 PM UTC-7, Delta8 wrote:
If cross country flight is a part of your plans I don't understand why
landing off field would not be a large part of the flaps/no flaps
decision?

Using flaps can get you into a field safely vs overshooting. I can
touchdown and stop without brakes on a grass strip (tail skid ) in 450'
with an ASW 20a max positive flap setting . The stall speed is down to
36kts so even if I hit something it will be a considerably slower speed

Many Moons ago flying in a contest out of Fairfield, PA, flying an ASW20a- My only option at the time was a college soccer field. I flew one 360 to scope it out. With full flaps and judicial use of dive breaks the 20 comes down like a helicopter. I chose the diagonal and was stopped with room to spare.

--
Delta8