Old August 17th 19, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

Having landed a 1-26 in a place local hang glider pilots said was that unlandable (one HG pilot showed up at our field, having his kidlets learn, he mentioned, I stated as fact since I was the 1-26 pilot involved), yes a ASW-20a in "full dump it mode" (landing flap, full brakes) has a L/D of a homesick brick.....
Good planning allows a lot of glass ships into small places....what do you practice?
A 20-a can go into very small spots, a 20-c needs a bit more.
VERY sharp in a no -flapped ship......sorry, not the same....

General flying, nut behind the stick is likely 85% of the equation, forget flaps unless high speed or short off field.