Old December 9th 19, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Gliding risk....

On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 2:13:13 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 12/6/2019 1:53 PM:
On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 3:15:05 AM UTC-8, Terry Slater wrote:

Tom

The inspections were performed with an endoscope, and the full length of
the spar bonding was inspected visually. SH issued a very comprehensive
guide to the process.

Terry

Yeah, I read their TN 396-08 that covered the process. This required cutting several holes in each wing for access by the endoscope. Of course, these holes had to be repaired and refinished. It would have been so much easier and cheaper to have done this inspection by ultrasonic NDT.

If the SH wing is constructed like the ASH26E wing, there is a layer of foam
between the outer skin and inner skin that is glued (hopefully) to spar. I suspect
ultrasound would not be effective, so what would kind of NDT would be used?

Ultrasonic NDT with with sufficient energy to penetrate to the suspect layer.