Old December 9th 19, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh[_2_]

Default Gliding risk....

You were lucky! I was in a UK owned DuoDiscus based at
Sisteron, France, a few years ago. Wing spar de-bonding was
discovered at an annual inspection even though the glider had,
in theory, been inspected previously, looking for this specific
manufacturing fault. SH DECLINED TO PAY FOR THIS REPAIR;
if I recall correctly each of us in the 8 man syndicate had to
cough up about £700.......
Dave Walsh

I inspected this glider in compliance with the AD, and was

accused of
not inspecting it correctly! It was subsequently discovered an
undocumented wing change had taken place. Not all inspectors

or repair
shops are honest!
Terry Slater

I never recall being told that an "undocumented wing change" had
actually taken place; all I heard was a rumour. I was told that
there was no truth in the rumour. The facts remains that SH built
this Duo wing and we, the syndicate partners at the time, ended
up paying for its repair. Who inspected what and whether it was
done competently is not relevant: our wing WAS defective, it had
defective wing spar bonding, we ended up footing the bill. A ****
poor result.
Dave Walsh