Old January 25th 20, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Future of aviation, or flash in the pan??

On 1/24/20 8:07 PM, wrote:
On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 12:21:41 PM UTC-5, kinsell wrote:
On 1/24/20 9:58 AM, Steve Leonard wrote:
Good to run those tests at night so you can see the fire sooner.

Good point. But if the main battery ever lit up (8200 lbs of
lithium-cobalt) it ought to make quite a bonfire.

Somehow flying that thing makes me think of the guy riding the H-bomb in Doctor Strangelove.

I do hope they find safer battery chemistries before long. LiFePO4 is much safer, but the energy density is even poorer and the cost even higher.

Good analogy. That was Slim Pickens, wasn't it?

Someone at Eviation said the thing is (or was) basically a battery with
a picture of an airplane painted on it. I wouldn't have guessed they
could get 8200 lbs of lithium battery in there and still have room for
px. It's am ambitious project, 600 mile range, but at some point
reality starts to rear its ugly head.