Old October 23rd 06, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Default ASH 26E VS DG 808C

wrote in message
oups.com...
So we have heard form two ASH 26 owners. Any DG 800-808 owners want to
opine? I have heard the build quality is better on the ASH than the
DG, how so?

This is best answered by really looking closely at these gliders. And if
you're considering buying one, then it may be best to take the time to do
this for yourself.

I had the opportunity to do that to a degree on the SSA convention floor. I
listed what I thought were the pros and cons of each ship to help me decide.
Still, I missed a bunch of stuff, like the robustness of the 26's main gear,
and many of the smaller things that I only discovered after really exploring
the ins and outs of my 26E after taking delivery.

Those that know me would vouch for this, I tend to be a perfectionist when
it comes to things mechanical. I appreciate things that have been made well
.. . . not just on the outside, but also beneath the skin.

BTW, advantages I listed for the DG 800 series included:

Much better factory web site.
More progressive factory, at least in terms of being willing to quickly
embrace new ideas and technology like NOAH and "Piggott hook".
Lower cockpit sides for ease of exit.
Two piece wings allow shorter trailer.

bumper

It seems to me that Western flyers would want the extra wing loading in
the summer. How do the cockpits compare between the DG and ASH? What
about sealing from the factory?

Allison