Old January 9th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mitty

Default GNS430W software 3.0 upgrade

On 1/9/2008 8:50 AM, Chuck wrote the following:
The upgrade "fixes" a problem area that
I don't
use so I was fixing something that wasn't broken. I think I will
put the upgrade on hold for a while and just listen.

Chuck

Garmin's software operation appears to be fairly undisciplined, at least from
what I see with upgrades to the CAP G1000 182s. Every new release it is a big
Easter egg hunt to find what they have changed and what they have broken. They
also change trivial cosmetic things, which is a no-no in professionally managed
mission software.

Waiting before loading "upgrades" is always wise, as is not rushing to get fixes
to problems you don't have. At my company, I always insisted that we age the
upgrades to our accounting system for at least six months, letting the "service
packs" accumulate. Which they always did.

Only after 6 months would we check the user groups and evaluate the risk and
payoff to installing the upgrade.