Old April 21st 12, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

Default Ventus bT/cT comparison

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 08:43:49 +0000, Peter F
wrote:

At 03:36 18 April 2012, Bob Gibbons wrote:
-- Max gross with or without the engine is 500kg. The issue with the
engine in place is the 255kg non-lifting limit. With the engine in
place, the pilot weight determines whether the max gross of 500kg or
the non-lifting limit of 255kg kicks in first.

You've lost me somewhere.

Why does pilot weight stop you getting to max gross as long as the wing
tanks are big enough?

Assuming tanks *are* big enough to get to max gross without the engine then
it should be a piece of cake to get there *with* the engine.

PF

PF, I agree this was a confusing way to state the situation. As you
correctly point out, if you satisfy the 255kg non-lifting limit, you
can ballast up to the 500kg limit irrespective of the pilot weight.

What I was trying to convey is that a lighter pilot can get more
margin under the non-lifting limit, and thus add more water ballast
before reaching the 500kg limit.

As I mentioned, at my weight, I am right at the 255kg limit with the
engine in place. I can add 28 gal before I hit 500kg.

If I weighed 20 lbs less, I could load in 31 gal before hitting the
500kg limit.

Or if I take out the engine, I can put in 40 gal before hitting the
500kg limit.

Sorry for the poor wording.

Bob