Old March 17th 19, 10:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Struthers

Default Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

Holy crap that not at all funny. Glad to hear no one was hurt. Mix of
imperial and metric never a good thing IMHO

At 08:12 17 March 2019, wrote:
"...how many of you have had a trailer break away from=20
the tow vehicle and what was the cause?"=20

My wife has thrown sailplane trailers 3 times (thrown as in had them
comple=
tely separate from the vehicle while in motion).

As I recall the first of her efforts was on the I-10 somewhere between
Quar=
tzite and Phoenix. The vehicle was an 18-passenger Ford van with the
interi=
or modified into a family camper of sorts. It had a step bumper to

which
th=
e trailer ball was mounted. Unfortunately, the chains were also clipped

=
the bumper. The bumper was rated for a 5000 lb. trailer. I think a lot of
o=
ur problems with sailplane trailers relate to their length and the
resultin=
g very high rotational moment of inertia about their axel. The loads on
the=
hitch as the vehicle=E2=80=99s back wheels fall into a dip or go over

bu=
mp at high speed must be astronomical. At the very least, they

exceeded
the=
expectations of this particular bumper manufacturer. The bumper fell

off.
=
Responding to the resulting commotion my wife gradually applied her
brakes=
.. The trailer caught up with the tow vehicle and the hitch, with the
bumper=
still attached, nosed under the back of the van. The two vehicles
deceler=
ated together. There was no significant damage, except to the bumper,

the
m=
ounting brackets of which showed clear evidence of fatigue. Good
Samaritans=
helped park the trailer and bumper off to the side of the freeway,
sending=
my wife on her way to get me. I didn=E2=80=99t hear about it until

after
I=
landed when she showed up without the trailer. It was a long

weekend.

Her second try was after leaving the gliderport, which is on a bumpy
(washb=
oard) dirt road. Just after turning onto the pavement the trailer

departed
=
from the tow vehicle, maneuvered off to the right side of the road,
probabl=
y following the crown of the road, and pulled to a stop alongside her. In
t=
his case the ball on the tow vehicle was attached to a proper heavy-

duty
to=
w bar in a square receptacle welded to heavy bars which in turn were
bolted=
to the frame of the vehicle. The tow bar slides into the square
receptacle=
and is held in place by a lateral pin which in turn is held in place by

=
safety clip=E2=80=A6 only it wasn=E2=80=99t. In fact, the safety

clip was
n=
owhere to be found. I had hooked up the trailer at home hours before

and I=
=E2=80=99m sure I put the safety pin in properly, but I am also

certain a
p=
roperly installed safety clip cannot possibly fall out. So there. Anyway,
t=
he safety chains were attached to rings on each sides of the tow bar so
the=
y departed with the tow bar. One of the other crews leaving the airport
tha=
t morning stopped to help my wife hook the rig back together. They

had a
sp=
are safety clip in their vehicle. Again, I didn=E2=80=99t hear about it
unt=
il after I landed.

My wife=E2=80=99s third attempt was by far her best.

She=E2=80=99s driving
=
a Suburban at 60 mph in the right lane of a busy four-lane undivided
highwa=
y between Joshua Tree and Twentynine Palms. In this case the cause of

the
s=
eparation was, as Charlie so aptly put it, =E2=80=9Ca worn imperial

ball
in=
a metric hitch=E2=80=9D. I like that wording. It almost seems to

absolve
m=
e of any responsibility for the subsequent events, despite the fact that

I=
=E2=80=99m a mechanical engineer and the hitch had been banging

up and
down=
on the ball for years. The safety chains had fairly beefy cast iron
hooks,=
such as are often found on safety chains. Those don=E2=80=99t

work. They
a=
ren=E2=80=99t able to withstand a sudden, forceful jerk. The trailer
turned=
to the left, probably driven off by the last of the two hooks to break,
th=
readed it way across the other 3 lanes of traffic and wandered out into
the=
desert. This time I did hear about it. I turned around and came back

la=
nd at a nearby airport.