Old February 4th 21, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

Default Curious about PZL KWEC-2 TE compensators

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 9:41:50 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I believe the vario cross-talk problem involved large capacity units that used .45 L bottles. I’m running an SN-10 and aa Borgelt 300 that both have small internal capacities on a single total energy probe and I see no cross-talk between these units.
Hope this helps,
JJ

I’m dealing with a Sage and the .45 bottle. I know about splitting the line further back, I’m just curious about how the KWEC works? I know it has a diaphragm I can’t think it through. If it actually works well, it could be a more elegant solution.

I guess we should define vario cross-talk? What I have seen is obvious, dramatic and very confusing! One vario goes up while the other goes down! This is caused by vastly different capacity sizes in the two vario’s. As the ship climbs, air exits both bottles, but the big bottle exits much more air than the little bottle and actually overpowers the small amount of air trying to exit the small bottle.
There were many devices used, back in the day, to solve this problem..........Schumann Box, diaphram, restricters, coiled up tuning, etc. I haven’t seen cross-talk problems in years, probably because we got away from varios that use large capacity bottles like your Schuman vario. I decided 20 years ago to stop using pure mechanical varios like the Winter and Schumann. The new electric varios that use small capacity bottles are fast, but don’t overshoot, accurate, reliable and have audio. The Borgelt has a backup 9v battery, in case you loose ships power............this feature brought me home one day after complete electrical failure. That’s when I discovered I really needed a audio vario to thermal.
JJ