Old December 2nd 03, 06:29 AM
Marc Ramsey

F.L. Whiteley wrote:
I hear there will be a shift in displays tech in the next few months that
should make these current kits obsolete.

Organic LED (OLED) and/or electronic ink technology has been supposed to
take over "real soon now" for a number of years. OLEDs use discrete
light emitters at each pixel, giving good contrast with no backlight
needed. Electronic ink uses tiny particles for pixels, electrically
flipping them between light and dark sides, which supposedly provides
contrast comparable to ink on paper.

As I remember, exactly one cellphone briefly made it onto the market
last spring with an OLED display. Apparently, OLEDs and e-ink still
have problems which need to be solved...

Marc