Old May 1st 05, 07:03 PM

On the subject of *Wannabe* flying, I remember a tragic example from
RF-4 training at Mt. home AFB in 1967. A crew from our sister squadron
was working with an Army detachment in the field. After the days
activities were over, the ground controller asked for a fly-by. The
RF-4 jock came by at 500 feet with everything hanging out, gear down,
flaps down, hook down. As he passed by the guys on the ground, he lit
both burners and attempted a roll. Almost made it too, but dished-out
on the bottom and turned it into a flaming ball of wreckage.

While going through the pilots stuff several days later, a video was
found showing the Thunderbirds doing a roll from 500 feet with
everything hanging out using full burner.

JJ Sinclair