Old September 25th 17, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default sunlight readable iphone

I was there at the very beginning when the ClearNav idea began to gel. On a particular flight, one (or both - I can't remember) of us were crossing the Susquehanna river on a ridge mission trying to punch the next turnpoints using our Compaq Aeros running Glide Navigator. Mine suddenly froze up after I incorrectly punched a menu item instead of the waypoint. That same day I believe Kellerman threatened to toss his Compaq out the apple core window for a similar reason.

So yes, usability in rough air, especially mountain/ridge environments led to the strong preference for a remote control rather than touch screen.

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 11:24:04 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Slightly off topic (what else is new), but ClearNav specifically stated
that they rejected touch screens because of the difficulty of touching a
moving spot in turbulent air.Â* I've noticed that quite often using my
actually sunlight readable mini tablet running a different program...Â*
Using a stick mounted or hand held controller makes the problem of
operating the application trivial (after you've learned how to use the
software).

On 9/25/2017 1:00 AM, krasw wrote:
On Sunday, 24 September 2017 18:04:11 UTC+3, jfitch wrote:
I do not recognize SYM from this description. Tiny buttons, too long manual, modal wtf, annual license? We are talking about highly complex problems (AAT optimization etc.) that need complex software. You read manual, learn program and that's it, I do not have to read manual before every flight. Talking about iGlide is useless, you cannot buy a device that runs it and is adequately readable in cockpit. There is no iGlide option for glider use.
I take it then, that you have flown at least 10 cross country flights using iGlide and found it wanting?

I have flown at least that many with all of the software packages I have described. I find iGlide to be "adequately readable" in the cockpit. It is as readable in most situations as the Oudie 2. I know because I have flown a number of flights with both, mounted side-by-side. Have you?

I dont do apple even if forced, so no would be the answer. But apple uses same display tech as everyone else, and you only need to take the Oudie2/IGC with any other high-end smartphone and walk out to direct sunlight to make my point. If holding a mirror that has extremely dark screen does not disturb you at all, congrats, you can fly with any device.

I did not know that Air Display M/L runs iGlide, they do not state that anywhere in documentation. Most of the panel mounted computers have decent or even good (matte) screens, but AFAIK Air is the only one with touchscreen. Touchscreen robs some of the screen brightness so it is not used much, too bad. I do not have experience with L/M, and what is the maturity of their software.

--
Dan, 5J